NFS broken - not fixed, but explained

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat Dec 13 01:00:32 UTC 2008

Gerhard Magnus wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-12-12 at 14:10 -1000, David Burns wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 2:06 PM, Gerhard Magnus
>> <magnus at agora.rdrop.com> wrote:
>>         The latest round of upgrades (this morning, 12/12) seems to
>>         have broken
>>         NFS on my server and client boxes. I get these messages
>>         booting:
>>
>>         NFS statd                    FAILED
>>
>>         Any suggestions as to how to proceed? Thanks for the help!
>>         --Jerry
>>
>> Is your problem the same as the one that was discussed beginning
>> yesterday?
>>
>> http://n2.nabble.com/FC9---recent-upgrade-breaks-NFS-td1645990.html
>>
>> Dave
>
> Yes, this seems to be the problem -- the gist of which is (quoting from the link):
>
> The new rpcbind and the current selinux-policy packages are
> incompatible. Downgrade rpcbind, wait until the selinux update appears,
> or switch selinux to permissive mode.
>
> ...but I say the latter is akin to giving up -- like deleting pulseaudio
> rather than dealing with it....

I thought deleting PulseAudio *was* dealing with it.  ;-)

For most people PA is a solution in search of a problem, we have a few inputs, a
single sound card (or card + built in), and some speakers. Software mixing,
bizarre interraction with alsa requiring use of multiple mixers, and the ability
to send output to speakers on other planets are not requirements for most people.

It's a great tool which should be totally optional unless you feel the need.
Linux sound used to work until PA became inflicted on users by default.

I worked hard not to be too negative in this post.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>