Re: compiled new kernel to see if machine won't freeze

Antonio Olivares wrote:
Dear all,

On the machine that would freeze as soon as  I connect to the internet.  I downloaded the new kernel 2.6.27.8.  However, the kernel appeared to be compiled successfully and the grub part is created all looks well, but it does not boot :(

I get mount: error mounting /dev/root on /sysroot as ext4: No such device

The /home partition is ext3, and the /root partition is ext4.  The machine freezes with the Fedora *-117 kernel and I want to have the machine running as it should.  I built the kernel with the following commands/instructions.

make mrproper
cp /boot/config-`uname -r` ./.config
make menuconfig
make all
make modules_install
make install

shutdown -r now

The machine is x86_64 and I have built several kernels successfully before and I do not know what is going on.  I have rebuilt the kernel about 3 times and I still get the same message :(

I kindly ask for help with this machine, because I might just throw the towel with it.
If you are running a kernel.org kernel (O assume that's what you mean) I don't believe ext4 is there, or it's there as ext4dev module, or similar. You might look and see of that's the case, and load ext4dev by hand if present.

Haven't run a K.O kernel since I started using ext4 for anything, so I can't say for sure.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen tmr com>