compiled new kernel to see if machine won't freeze

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat Dec 13 18:19:28 UTC 2008

Antonio Olivares wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> On the machine that would freeze as soon as  I connect to the internet.  I downloaded the new kernel 2.6.27.8.  However, the kernel appeared to be compiled successfully and the grub part is created all looks well, but it does not boot :(
>
> I get
> mount: error mounting /dev/root on /sysroot as ext4: No such device
>
> The /home partition is ext3, and the /root partition is ext4.  The machine freezes with the Fedora *-117 kernel and I want to have the machine running as it should.  I built the kernel with the following commands/instructions.
>
> make mrproper
> cp /boot/config-`uname -r` ./.config
> make menuconfig
> make all
> make modules_install
> make install
>
> shutdown -r now
>

> The machine is x86_64 and I have built several kernels successfully before and I do not know what is going on.  I have rebuilt the kernel about 3 times and I still get the same message :(
>
> I kindly ask for help with this machine, because I might just throw the towel with it.

If you are running a kernel.org kernel (O assume that's what you mean) I don't
believe ext4 is there, or it's there as ext4dev module, or similar. You might
look and see of that's the case, and load ext4dev by hand if present.

Haven't run a K.O kernel since I started using ext4 for anything, so I can't say
for sure.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>