Question about enabling a few services.

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Dec 13 23:40:17 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-12-13 at 18:28 -0500, Steven W. Orr wrote:
> The following are disabled on my system and my stoopid question of the day
> is whether they should be enabled or not. (Obviously I'm not sure what to
> tell you to make much of a comment, but I'm hoping that maybe some of them
> are just plain innocuous and should be enabled for everyone.)
>
> * dnsmasq (Will this speed me up?)
----
no
----
> * multipathd (No idea)
----
no - for multipath (fibre channel storage)
----
> * netconsole (I'm guessing no because there is not remote syslogd
> accessing my box)
----
never looked at it but no, I wouldn't enable
----
> * Should I be enabling both network and NetworkManager or should I only
> have one or the other. Currenty they're both on. Two NICS, one dhcp to my
> cable modem and the other with a hard address to another 'puter.
----
should be ok though I would probably just use 'network' - I hate to
recommend to you to fix something that isn't broken. 'network' could
handle the dhcp connection to the cable modem but you would have to
tinker...just to shut off network manager.
----
> * pcscd (I don't have a PC/SC lite and Musclecard frameworks that I know
> of)
----
no
----
> * psacct (Is this good to have?)
----
don't know - I don't use it
----
> * smolt (Same thing. Is this A Good Thing?)
----
I think that reports information back to Fedora - your call
----
> * squid (Would this somehow speed up my browser?)
----
might be more trouble than it's worth but it does cache stuff
----
> I come from the old school that says to disable everything you don't need,
> but I'm not sure what these things do.
----
I think that the general idea is to leave stuff alone unless it starts
to make sense to use/configure it.

Craig