Re: f9 without pulseaudio.

Reg Clemens wrote:
On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 12:56 AM, Reg Clemens <reg dwf com> wrote:
I keep reading comments on this list that one can remove pulseaudio
from f9 and it will run like a normal alsa system.

I have removed
       alsa-plugins-pulseaudio
   and libflashsupport

from my f9 system, rebooted.
Sound in Flash in Firefox works just fine, but aplay doesn't.
If aplay doesn't work I wonder about mplayer, totem, and the other sound
producing programs that I havent tested.

So, is there anything else I should be removing to get back to
'just alsa' ????

I would really like to understand what is going on here.

It was very easy for me, here is the relevant portion of my yum.log
from when i removed it:
Sep 20 02:09:44 Erased: alsa-plugins-pulseaudio
Sep 20 02:09:44 Erased: pulseaudio-module-x11
Sep 20 02:09:44 Erased: pulseaudio
Sep 20 02:09:49 Erased: pulseaudio-module-zeroconf
Sep 20 02:09:49 Erased: pulseaudio-module-gconf
Sep 20 02:09:50 Erased: kde-settings-pulseaudio
Sep 20 02:09:50 Erased: pulseaudio-esound-compat

Thanks, I should have thought of that.
I already had a 'rpm -qa | sort > rpms.list.f9' that I could have
looked at...

In any case, I removed all the modules I found in the above list, rebooted, and as ME, I have no audio in either aplay nor firefox.
Doing a su and trying again, I have audio both places, so it seems
that there is still a permission problem somewhere.

Here is the output from aplay

[reg deneb AU]$ aplay wheee.au

---

ALSA lib confmisc.c:768:(parse_card) cannot find card '0'
ALSA lib conf.c:3513:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such fi
le or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
ALSA lib conf.c:3513:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such file or
 directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1251:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
ALSA lib conf.c:3513:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:3985:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2184:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
aplay: main:583: audio open error: No such file or directory

---

Any further thoughts???
If I could get some sound working, I could move to f9.

I'm sure that there is a "proper" way to do it, but I just put the following in rc.local and sound works :

cd /dev/snd
chmod 666 *

Regards,

John