service network restart won't run via su

I upgraded a laptop from F8 to F9 and now have an issue....
If I log in as a normal use, open an xterm, then type su,
I used to be able to run /sbin/service network restart....
Now it fails:
  # /sbin/service network restart
  env: /etc/init.d/network: Permission denied

I tried calling it directly:
  # /etc/init.d/network status
  bash: /etc/init.d/network: /bin/bash: bad interpreter: Permission denied

However, I can still run it as:
  /bin/bash /etc/init.d/network status

Any ideas?
--