service network restart won't run via su

Wade Hampton wadehamptoniv at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 13:37:01 UTC 2008

> From: James Kosin <jkosin at beta.intcomgrp.com>
> To: "Community assistance, encouragement, and advice for using Fedora." <fedora-list at redhat.com>
> Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 11:46:07 -0500
> Subject: Re: service network restart won't run via su
> Wade Hampton wrote:
>> I upgraded a laptop from F8 to F9 and now have an issue....
>> If I log in as a normal use, open an xterm, then type su,
>> I used to be able to run /sbin/service network restart....
>> Now it fails:
>>   # /sbin/service network restart
>>   env: /etc/init.d/network: Permission denied
>>
>> I tried calling it directly:
>>   # /etc/init.d/network status
>>   bash: /etc/init.d/network: /bin/bash: bad interpreter: Permission denied
>>
>> However, I can still run it as:
>>   /bin/bash /etc/init.d/network status
>>
>> Any ideas?
>> --
>> Wade Hampton
>>
> Wade,
>
> I believe this may be because you didn't use the 'su -' command.
>
> The '-' tells su to import the users profile properties as well.

Nope, that's not the issue.  The problem is SeLinux.  I have tried
su, su -, and logging on a console screen as root - same problem.
If I turn off selinux (setenforce 0), I can run /sbin/service network restart
and it runs fine.  If I turn SeLinux back on, it fails again.  Seems like a
messed up SeLinux policy.

Any hints on how to verify and/or fix?
--
Wade Hampton