Video Capture

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Dec 16 20:52:38 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-12-16 at 15:08 -0500, homburg at tips-Q.com wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 14:52:05 -0500
> Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com> wrote:
>
> > homburg at tips-Q.com wrote:
> > > Not specific to Fedora (my apologies in advance). Can
> > > someone suggest a method by which I could capture
> > > flash/flv content? In other words, I want to capture a
> > > streaming video to disk. Can this be done?
> > >
> > I have never tried actual streaming content, if the
> > content is in an flv file you can just grab it with any
> > of several scripts. I have them for old yuoutube, current
> > youtube, and {something I needed at the time and forget}.
> > You just give it the URL and optionally the filename
> > where you want it.
> >
> Of course, no method seems to work on this particular site.
> Nothing I do is ever THAT easy. It uses the swfobject.js
> script rather than embedding the media as an object. There
> is no cache so there is nothing in /tmp. Based on
> experimenting with wget, the actual media is in a protected
> directory.
>
> White flag!
----
downloadhelper was the easy way

If you really, really want it, you should be able to get it via the
entire URL which probably includes tokens/various authentication
information, etc.

Basically, you start viewing with a web browser. Then in a Konsole (or
GNOME equiv), you get it via 'ps aux|grep flv' (assuming that the file
is indeed an FLV file type which should give you a complete URL in
there.

select the URL, then run 'wget $PASTED_URL' and you probably will get it

Craig