Apt-get really screwed up on F9

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 23:55:36 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 2:14 PM, Nigel Henry
<cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr> wrote:
> Anyone using apt, and apt-get on F9?
>
> There were problems with synaptic on F9. I could remove packages, but not
> install packages. MD5 sum missmatch problem. I posted a bug report for this,
> and saw there was already another bug report for the same problem.
>
> As of the last day or so, I did an apt-get update, and got the following.
>
> [djmons at localhost djmons]$ ssh 192.168.0.196
> djmons at 192.168.0.196's password:
> Last login: Sun Nov  2 20:24:44 2008 from 192.168.0.230
> -bash-3.2$ su
> Password:
> [root at localhost djmons]# apt-get update
> Get:1 http://download.fedora.redhat.com fedora/linux/updates/9/i386.newkey/
> repomd.xml [2390B]
> Get:2 http://linuxdownload.adobe.com linux/i386 repomd.xml [951B]
> Get:3 http://rpm.livna.org 9/i386/ repomd.xml [2142B]
> Get:4 http://download.fedora.redhat.com
> fedora/linux/releases/9/Everything/i386/os/ repomd.xml [2442B]
> Fetched 7925B in 2s (3489B/s)
> Hit http://download.fedora.redhat.com fedora/linux/updates/9/i386.newkey/
> primary.sqlite
> Hit http://download.fedora.redhat.com fedora/linux/updates/9/i386.newkey/
> filelists.sqlite
> Hit http://download.fedora.redhat.com
> fedora/linux/releases/9/Everything/i386/os/ primary.sqlite
> Hit http://download.fedora.redhat.com
> fedora/linux/releases/9/Everything/i386/os/ filelists.sqlite
> Hit http://linuxdownload.adobe.com linux/i386/ primary.xml
> Hit http://linuxdownload.adobe.com linux/i386/ filelists.xml
> Hit http://rpm.livna.org 9/i386/ primary.sqlite
> Hit http://rpm.livna.org 9/i386/ filelists.sqlite
> Hit http://rpm.livna.org 9/i386/ primary.sqlite
> Hit http://rpm.livna.org 9/i386/ filelists.sqlite
> apt-get: rpm/rpmindexfile.cc:645: std::string
> rpmRepomdIndex::IndexURI(std::string) const: Assertion `Res.size() > 0'
> failed.
> Aborted
> [root at localhost djmons]#
>
> I've had to do a yum update to update F9, which went ok, but what the hell has
> gone wrong with apt, and apt-get?
>
> I have to say that I'm really annoyed with this, as I've been using apt since
> Fedora Core 1, with virtually no problems.
>
> As a side issue rpmfusion has just come on the scene, and where I could you
> apt with livna, and freshrpm's, but rpmfusion has no support for users of
> apt, but only Yum.
>
> I think it's about time to say goodbye to new versions of Fedora. I'm posting
> from FC2. No longer supported, but working like clockwork, apart froma small
> problem with my mouse from time to time.
>
> Fedora users ignore this post please. This is a complaint to the Fedora
> developers, who are living in their own little world. I thought that Linux
> was about choices, but it appears that Fedora devs have decided that Yum is
> the way to go, and Apt can go down the can, and be no longer supported.
>
> I couldn't care less what replies I get, as I'm seriously pissed off with
> [...]

I just installed apt-0.5.15lorg3.94-3.fc9.i386 with
fedora-package-config-apt-9-3.transitional.noarch and had no problem
using the application.

Have you run "apt-get clean" yet?

FYI, apt supports rpm, yum, and metadata repositories so you should be
able to add RPMFusion repositories to apt.  (Note: My only complaint
regarding RPMFusion is that the developers have yum blnders on when
they created their install rpm. They negilected to provide for smart
and apt.)