procmail/examples

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Dec 17 04:24:12 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 16 December 2008, Cameron Simpson wrote:
>On 16Dec2008 21:43, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:
>| According to the manpages for procmail et all, the source tree has the
>| best examples of its filter syntax in the ./examples directory.
>
>You have, I presume, exhausted "man procmailex" ?

Only to the extent I'm as confused as ever. :)

>| Unforch, even with the sources repo's enabled in yumex, I am not seeing
>| the src rpm for procmail.
>| So where can I get it?
>
>I'd go here:
>  http://freshmeat.net/projects/procmail/
>No RPM, but sources.

Thank you, I got it.

>Got a specific problem you're trying to solve?

Yes, the syntax of ~/.procmailrc

I see all the examples, but there is not a real tut as to what a : character
does when it is not the leading char on the line.  Many other such questions
are similarly unanswered in the available man pages.

To use the above char as an example, what is the diff between
:0
and
:0:

as the indicator for a new recipe?

Maybe I can decuce that from the srcs I just pulled.  Thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)