Office2003 in wine with F10?

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 09:42:56 UTC 2008

Previously I was able to get MS Office 2003 installed and working for Excel
and Word using wine in F8.

Although I have an operational Office XP setup in F10 using Crossover, I
used to like having both Office XP and Office 2003 apps available for
different purposes for the two sets of apps. The Crossover and wine installs
are totally independent so each set does not affect the other.

However in F10 I have not been able to get Office 2003 working in wine. I
appear to get the install working but if I try to run Excel it hangs and I
have to kill the relevant processes otherwise I have bit of the Excel gui
hogging my screen! I guess I should pay attention to the stream of messages
that appears in the terminal during the execution of the setup file when
doing "wine setup"!

Does anyone have Office2003 working in F10, and if so is there is step by
step guide to getting it going.  I expect that I need some dll files putting
into the .wine area, possibly using winetricks, or perhaps there is some
trick with winecfg that needs to be done - but so far I am stuck!