Office2003 in wine with F10?

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Wed Dec 17 11:45:15 UTC 2008

Mike Cloaked wrote:
> Previously I was able to get MS Office 2003 installed and working for Excel
> and Word using wine in F8.
>
> Although I have an operational Office XP setup in F10 using Crossover, I
> used to like having both Office XP and Office 2003 apps available for
> different purposes for the two sets of apps. The Crossover and wine installs
> are totally independent so each set does not affect the other.
>
> However in F10 I have not been able to get Office 2003 working in wine. I
> appear to get the install working but if I try to run Excel it hangs and I
> have to kill the relevant processes otherwise I have bit of the Excel gui
> hogging my screen! I guess I should pay attention to the stream of messages
> that appears in the terminal during the execution of the setup file when
> doing "wine setup"!
>
> Does anyone have Office2003 working in F10, and if so is there is step by
> step guide to getting it going.  I expect that I need some dll files putting
> into the .wine area, possibly using winetricks, or perhaps there is some
> trick with winecfg that needs to be done - but so far I am stuck!

There were wine updates recently (mine were installed on 12/3 according
to yum.log).  I had a working application on F9 that all of a sudden
failed to run properly for me yesterday (I can't remember the last time
I used it, it was obviously well over a week ago).  I fixed it by
updating to the version of wine in updates-testing:  wine-1.1.9-2 was
updated to wine-1.1.10-1 from updates-testing and that application now
starts for me again.  If I remember correctly, my error was that wine
couldn't find winedos.dll.so.  Well, it can now after the update.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net