Re: FC10 does not boot when HDD moved to another machine

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 1:35 PM, Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel infinity-ltd com> wrote:
Frank Millman wrote:

> Thanks for the reply, Mikkel.
>
> I tried, but unfortunately I don't know enough to figure it out :-(
>
> I ran chroot /mnt/sysimage. I read 'man mkinitrd', but I cannot work out
> what parameters to use. I tried 'mkinitrd -vf', but it just returned to the
> prompt silently. I rebooted, but nothing had changed.
>
> I cannot see anything in /boot - it seems that it is not mounted, and I
> don't know how to mount it manually. /etc/fstab shows a UUID number.
>
> It is not that important for me to get this working - I don't mind
> re-installing from scratch. However, it would be nice to know how to solve
> this problem for the future, in case it ever happens with live data
> involved. For example, a mother board could fail, but the HDD is intact, so
> you just want to move it to a new machine.
>
> BTW, getting it to work off the old machine is not important, so a simple
> re-generation of the image is sufficient.
>
> Any assistance will be appreciated.
>
> Frank

Well, if you were building for kernel 2.6.26.3-14.f8, you would run:

mkinitrd /boot/test.img 2.6.26.3-14.f8

Then you would have something like this in grub.conf (excuse the
line wrap):

title New Board
       root (hd0,0)
       kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.26.3-14.fc8 ro
root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet
       initrd /test.img
title Fedora (2.6.26.3-14.fc8)
       root (hd0,0)
       kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.26.3-14.fc8 ro
root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet
       initrd /initrd-2.6.26.3-14.fc8.img

You your F10 kernel instead of the F8 one listed here. Make sure you
do it with the new motherboard.

Mikkel

The easiest way, if you have access to the internet, is to use the rescue disk,
"chtoot /mnt/sysimage" and then install a new kernel via yum (depending on what you have installed, you may need to remove a kernel before, by using "rpm -e kernel-.....").

This is how I do in cases like this ....

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
LCG - UFRJ