F10, VMware Server 2.0, and selinux

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 19:18:43 UTC 2008

Gilboa Davara wrote:

>> So I don't understand.  Are you saying that VMware has no right to
>> impose some boundaries on what they will and will not support?   Are
>> they bound by some contract to provide answers/solutions to a free
>> product for every flavor of Linux used as host OS?   Or, are you saying
>> that their only obligation is to support every version of Fedora for
>> free?  And if so, what make Fedora so special to get support?
>
> Right? They have a right to do what-ever they want. I never argued
> otherwise.
> Question is - should Fedora go along with their decision, and support
> their semi-broken RPMs,  half-working SELinux support, missing upstream
> kernel support and their decision to keep certain features Windows-only.

Fedora, support?? What's that?

> FWIW my vote is a (big) no - Fedora's resources will be better spent on
> qemu-kvm and virt-*.

I suppose working toward a linux binary standard that would actually
make it possible for 3rd parties to build programs that install and run
as expected on different distributions is too much to ask...  As,
obviously, is asking for interface stability for more than a week at a
time so 3rd parties could specifically target the distribution's
nonstandard quirks in a useful way.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com