Re: Setting up Linksys WRT54GL for Remote Server

Dave Ihnat wrote:
On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 12:59:04PM -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
You probably only have one public IP so you can port-forward port 22 to only one inside address. You can pick a different port to forward to port 22 on the other box - or if you want more convenient access, set up something like openvpn between the private networks behind the routers.

I've done this often when dealing with retail-grade router/firewalls
that don't allow VPN termination at the device.  I can't recall if the
WRT54GL allows for port mapping, though--which you need for the scheme
mentioned above.  It's not really a problem, though; just have the
second machine listen on a different port, and forward the same port.

I haven't tried it, but I believe the WRT54GL is one of several that can have the firmware replaced with a free linux version that includes openvpn and other tools.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell gmail com