Lost audio on headphones (F9)

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Dec 19 16:57:10 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 05:45 -0200, Paulo Cavalcanti wrote:
> Unfortunately, some boards only detect the presence of jacks connected
> to the back of the computer. Plugging, say a headphone, to the front
> does not change anything.

In some computers, there's no "detecting" at all.  It's a mechanical
switch in the headphone socket, and the front and rear panel sockets are
often different (e.g. a simple one on the front).

Detecting a connection made to *any* socket, without requiring special
sockets, would require electronics designed for that (detecting a DC
change, impedance loading change, etc.).

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.7-53.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.