Re: more DNS problems (F10)

On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 22:30 -0600, Steven Stern wrote:
> I don't understand ... nslookup finds the right value, but ping
> reports unknown host

Since you mention *understanding* the issue.  The simple answer is they
use different mechanisms for resolving the name.  One of which exposes a
recently introduced problem.

There's been quite a lot about this DNS issue lately, with various
workarounds offered to sidestep the problem.  The ones that I've seen
work for some users, but not for others, and don't actually fix the
problem.

--
[tim localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.7-53.fc9.i686