Why did I not get readahead when I upgraded from F9 to F10?

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 19:55:48 UTC 2008

Steven W. Orr wrote:
> I noticed that the new F10 boot process is supposed to be somewhat
> faster because it took advantage of a new package called readahead.
That's incorrect. Readahead had nothing to do with Fedora boot
optimization.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureBetterStartup for more
details.
> When I upgraded from F9 to F10, I did not get readahead. I did go
> ahead and I added that package to my system. My question is, is there
> a way to see what packages are installed by default on a new install
> vs what packages are installed as part of an upgrade? Or is this a bug?
This is not a bug. In some of the boot profiling. it was found out that,
readahead slows down bootup to a good extend.  There is a potential
replacement in development that handles things a bit more intelligently.
Refer

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/20SecondStartup

Rahul