PackageKit has eaten my system (again!)

DB Freddog_de at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Dec 20 21:36:30 UTC 2008

Evening all,

I just did the latest batch of F9 PackageKit updates - with disastrous
effect!  (See attached list)

I think (!) RPM is still working but Packagekit & yum amongst (many)
others have gone.  I've tried to re enable the rpmfusion reps & rpm
tells me that the latest ones are installed:
[root at localhost ~]# su -c 'rpm -Uvh
http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-stable.noarch.rpm
http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-stable.noarch.rpm'
Retrieving
http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-stable.noarch.rpm
Retrieving
http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-stable.noarch.rpm
Preparing...                ###########################################
[100%]
    package rpmfusion-free-release-9-12.noarch (which is newer than
rpmfusion-free-release-8-6.noarch) is already installed
    package rpmfusion-nonfree-release-9-12.noarch (which is newer than
rpmfusion-nonfree-release-8-6.noarch) is already installed
[root at localhost ~]#

Any suggestions as to the best way to recover the packages PK scoffed -
especially yum and/or PackageKit?

I did look at trying a 'rescue' or 'install/upgrade' from the install
CD, but I'm totally unsure how to go about getting the "missing links"
back into my system.

Any help gratefully received! (And this time I promise to change the
title of any replies away from the Digest No & date!!!!!!)

Thanks

Dave