PackageKit has eaten my system (again!)

Paul Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Mon Dec 22 00:29:50 UTC 2008

Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 22:13:46 +0000
> Anne Wilson <annew at kde.org> wrote:
>

>> On Sunday 21 December 2008 22:00:16 DB wrote:
>>
>>> [Dave at localhost ~]$ rpm -qi pygpgme
>>> package pygpgme is not installed
>>> [Dave at localhost ~]$ rpm -qi python-iniparse
>>> package python-iniparse is not installed
>>> [Dave at localhost ~]$
>>>
>>> Is there a way to tell rpm to go off and search a specific repo?
>>>

> no. Rpm only acts on specific packages.
>

>> If they are not installed 'yum install packagename' should pull them
>> in - and you can list both packages in one command.
>>

> Except that he is trying to install yum. ;)

>>> tried rpm --whatprovides yum but that evidently is not acceptable!
>>>
>> It's not apparent from the help file, but I think the command is 'rpm
>> -q whatprovides ....' but I don't think that would have helped in
>> this situation. I'd try
>>
>> yum install pygpgme python-iniparse yum
>>

> No yum installed there for him. ;)
>
> Dave: Try the following:
>
> rpm -ivh
> http://mirrors.tummy.com/pub/fedora.redhat.com/fedora/linux/updates/9/i386.newkey//yum-3.2.20-5.fc9.noarch.rpm
> http://mirrors.tummy.com/pub/fedora.redhat.com/fedora/linux/releases/9/Everything/i386/os//Packages/pygpgme-0.1-8.fc9.i386.rpm
> http://mirrors.tummy.com/pub/fedora.redhat.com/fedora/linux/releases/9/Everything/i386/os//Packages/python-iniparse-0.2.3-3.fc9.noarch.rpm
>
> All on one big long line. ;)
> Not sure if there are further deps, but hopefully that will get yum installed for you.
>
> kevin

I've been following this since it got posted trying to determine if it
is a local problem to Dave or if there is, in fact, an issue with
PackageKit updates on F9 (I think Anne used the phrase "dirty
electricity" which I took mean nothing wrong with the current F9 updates).

Just trying to verify before I power up my machines to do some work and,
presumably, accept whatever updates are available via PackageKit or
root/yum.

Thanks,
Paul