Re: flash-plugin installed and not available

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 7:19 PM, M A Young <m a young durham ac uk> wrote:
On Mon, 22 Dec 2008, William Case wrote:

I am not getting any sound with my flash plugin.

When I follow the advice from:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Multimedia/Flash

I get the following message from yum:
Package flash-plugin-10.0.15.3-release.i386 installed and not available

It means you didn't set up the adobe yum repository as instructed in the previous stage, but as you do have the flash-plugin that won't be the cause of your problems. But I would recommend that you start again with that advice and make sure you haven't omitted anything else.

If you have libflashsupport installed then remove it, eg.
rpm -e libflashsupport
because that was for flash 9 it can potentially interfere with flash 10

Of course it might not be a flash problem at all. I suggest you check your sound is functioning correctly by going to system -> preferences -> hardware -> sound and make sure it is set up sensibly and the tests all work.

       Michael Young
Thank you Michael!!
I also had the problem with the flash plugin installed but not working.  I tried the "about:plugins" command shown and that returns no plugins installed.  I next ran the command "rpm -e libflashsupport" (I had done an upgrade from F9 to F10 using "preupgrade" which seems to have left that package installed) which removed libflashsupport.  I then restarted Firefox.  Now "about:plugins" show that I have 5 different plugins installed.  Now Firefox appears to handle flash.
Stefan