fedora-list at redhat.com

William W. Austin waustin at speakeasy.net
Mon Dec 22 15:28:25 UTC 2008

On 2008-12-21 18:16:35, Ian Pilcher <arequipeno at gmail.com> wrote:

> Mail Lists wrote:
>>  (1)  Are the fedora KDE users moving back to gnome ? ... is KDE
>> dead or alive ?

> I'm strongly considering it.  Almost all of the applications that
> I use regularly are GTK-based anyway, and Red Hat and Fedora have
> always been more focused on GNOME than KDE, so it's hard to see
> any reason to continue with KDE now that the things that I like
> about it have been sacrificed on the altar of the KDE developers'
> grand vision.

I have used KDE 3.x for many years and appreciated it for its features,
its stability, its extremely-good configurability, and its many
"techie" features which prefer.

KDE 4.1 so far has lost many of the features and much of the
configurability of the 3.x releases, and I'm waiting to see whether 4.2
restores enough of them to make it a viable desktop.

I use my computer to (a) develop code and systems, (b) manage multiple
machines and networks, (c) experiment with clustering and parallel
processing.  So no matter how beautiful it is, if KDE4.x continues to
lack the features I actually _need_ on a daily basis, I'll probably
switch desktops - either back to Gnome or to another wm.

I don't like (and won't participate in) flame wars, but I have to say
that while some things are better in KDE 4.1 than under KDE3.x,
for my purposes the missing features far outweigh the improvements.

As someone said, perhaps by 4.2, 4.3, etc., things will improve - but
since I have to use the machine _now_, those are not currently options
for me.

william w. austin                               waustin at speakeasy.net
"life is just another phase i'm going through. this time, anyway ..."