F9 and up: XDMCP support?

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Mon Dec 22 23:52:42 UTC 2008

Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> M A Young wrote:
>> On Mon, 22 Dec 2008, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
>>
>>> I have been waiting for awhile, understood that XDMCP support
>>> was to be added in at some time, but yet, it is not still there?
>>
>> Fedora 9 works for me. I have not tried Fedora 10.
>>
>>     Michael Young
>>
> Using Gnome?  If so, how did you get it to work?
>
> I have:
>
> # cat /etc/gdm/custom.conf:
> # GDM configuration storage
>
> [xdmcp]
> Enable=True
> Willing=/etc/X11/xdm/Xwilling
> Xaccess=/etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess
> Port=177
>
> [chooser]
>
> [security]
>
> [debug]
>
> ... and I tried:
>
> # nmap -sU -p 177
>
> Starting Nmap 4.53 ( http://insecure.org ) at 2008-12-22 13:24 PST
> WARNING: No targets were specified, so 0 hosts scanned.
> Nmap done: 0 IP addresses (0 hosts up) scanned in 0.098 seconds
>
> So the port is not there...
>
> Thanks!
> Dan

ok, I made a mistake in the above:

# nmap -sU -p 177 localhost
Starting Nmap 4.53 ( http://insecure.org ) at 2008-12-22 15:50 PST
Interesting ports on localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1):
PORT    STATE         SERVICE
177/udp open|filtered xdmcp

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 2.036 seconds
So this proves that port 177, XDMCP  works!

I also had to add my Vnc ports (5900-5984) to the firewall to allow
access.  Everything is now good!

Dan