Re: backup of my / filesystem

I wouldn't use dd for backups unless you wanted to restore an exact
bit-by-bit image of an entire filesystem.

I've found rsync to be very effective, with the important advantage
that you can run the backup several times and it will only copy what
changed between one copy and the next. The rsync man page gives
several examples of this. You might also be interested in rsnapshot,
which basically wraps crontab scripts around rsync and can keep
multiple time-related snapshots without wasting disk space.

poc

I backup our system at work (500GB) using rsync. Our New York office runs rsync against my backup volume. Over the years I have found rsync to be a very reliable tool.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf blu org>
Boston Linux and Unix