Re: Sound problems with SELinux ? [SOLVED]

William Case wrote:
On Mon, 2008-12-22 at 15:33 -0500, William Case wrote:
Hi Daniel;

On Mon, 2008-12-22 at 14:36 -0500, Daniel J Walsh wrote:

William Case wrote:
Hi;

This probably more of a frustration question than an eventually solving
it myself question.

I couldn't get any sound -- I originally thought it was an Adobe Flash
problem -- until I changed SELinux from enforcing to permissive.  How do
I make sound available to the user while still using SELinux enforcing?
Check the /var/log/audit/audit.log file for AVC messages.
I couldn't see anything pertinent; but that doesn't mean much.  I have
never used the audit.log before.  I could be looking at something and
not seeing it.

Is this F10?
Yes.  See under my signature.  I keep my program versions there for the
main mailing lists I belong to.

Somehow my 'Front' channel?? in Alsa mixer gui got turned off.  By trial
and error I learnt that if I fully turned on the volume for 'Front' I
got my sound back.  Why SELinux enforcing also affected it is still
leaves me at a loss.

SELinux may have played a part.  There may have been an AVC denial from
SELinux when it tried to access the alsa config file to save the
configuration.  Did you check /var/log/audit/audit.log to see if there
were any denials regarding audio?
-  Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a  -
-                              rigged demo.                          -