what does pulse, pulse-access and pulse-rt get me?

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Tue Dec 23 21:37:31 UTC 2008

I've noticed that my sound seems to go away sometimes.  Most of the time it
seems to be fine, but occasionally when I try to run a program that uses sound
I get "Error opening PCM device default: Connection refused"

Restarting pulseaudio seems to get it going again:

pulseaudio -k ; pulseaudio -D --log-target=syslog

When pulseaudio starts, /var/log/messages tells me:

QUOTE:
 We are not in group 'pulse-rt' and PolicyKit refuse to grant us privileges.
Dropping SUID again. Dec 23 15:08:14 mutt pulseaudio[21344]: main.c: For
enabling real-time schedulin g please acquire the appropriate PolicyKit
privileges, or become a member of 'pu lse-rt', or increase the
RLIMIT_NICE/RLIMIT_RTPRIO resource limits for this user .
Dec 23 15:08:14 mutt pulseaudio[21344]: main.c: High-priority scheduling enabled
 in configuration but not allowed by policy.
END OF QUOTE

pulse, pulse-access and pulse-rt groups all exist on this computer but I'm not
a member of any of them.  Again, though, my sound mostly works.

Would I gain something by joining these groups?  I've done some reading about
this and the purpose of these groups is still not clear to me.