Applications tab in KDE

Alain Roger raf.news at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 11:32:49 UTC 2008

Hi,

I was successful to install KDE on F10 and to use this wonderfull
environment.
However, i tried to install PostgreSQL from official Add/Remove Software
application (server + client) but after clicking on Apply, F10 downloaded
some packages and nothing more was done.
i was looking for if F10 installed those packages as normally a
/var/lib/pgsql/postgresql.conf file has to be created but nothing as such
and nothing also somewhere else (i tried find / -name 'postgresql.conf' as
root.

1. how is it possible ? the packages are not installed automatically ?
2. how can i checked if such package is correctly installed ?

after that, i decided to download it by myself in tmp folder and i installed
it.
first of all, this bin file installs by default under /opt/postgresql/8.3/

but my main issue is the following. after installation F10 has created a
tab/folder (PostgreSQL 8.3), under Application menu.

3. how can i create my own tab/folder for hosting programs ?
4. how can i move the postgreSQL 8.3 program files/folder/tab from
application menu to my new tab/folder from point 3 ?

thanks a lot,

--
Alain
Windows XP x64 SP2