Re: driver nvidia

Matthew Saltzman wrote:
On Thu, 2008-12-25 at 14:04 -0500, Jim wrote:
Thomas Cameron wrote:
Alain Roger wrote:
Hi,

where can i find the newest drivers for nVidia graphic card for F10 ?
thx.

--
Alain
Windows XP x64 SP2 / Fedora 10 KDE 4.2

I don't particularly like using packaged NVidia stuff - too much of a pain waiting for the packagers to catch up with the latest kernel.

The akmod-nvidia packages at rpmfusion includes logic to rebuild the
drivers automatically when a new kernel is booted.  Quite sweet, really,
and none of the hassles associated with nVidia's packaging.

I just grab the right driver from http://www.nvidia.com/page/support.html. Once it's downloaded, just run this as root:

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-177.82-pkg2.run -s -X

Change NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-177.82-pkg2.run to the package you download.

That will do a quiet install and set up your xorg.conf appropriately.

If you want to use packaged versions, you can use the rpmforge repo at http://rpmfusion.org. There are good docs there as to how to use the repo.

How do you find drivers on Nvidia.com for older cards, like a GeForce FX Go5200 NV34M

Look for the akmod-nvidia-96xx or akmod-nvida-173xx packages at
rpmfusion.  Note that these are no longer supported by nVidia, but they
are kept current for new kernels by the rpmfusion gang.

But how do I tell if 96xx or 173xx is for my old Geforce FX Go5200 ?