Laptop locking up at Boot Process

David Burns tdbtdb at gmail.com
Fri Dec 26 20:39:14 UTC 2008

On Thu, Dec 25, 2008 at 1:56 PM, Jim <mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> FC10
> My Dell Laptop is locking up in the boot process just after;
>
> Starting anacron:             [  OK ]
>
> how can i tell what is locking it up

Can you get a console with ctl-alt-f1? Can you ssh in? Or is it just a dead
thing?

Try booting into text mode or single user - hit space bar after bios is done
to get into the boot menu (grub?), hit tab to edit the boot params, put a 3
at the end of the kernel line. (Or something like that - I am going from
memory. s or S might boot to single user?) If you can get that far, you can
try to start up various things and see what won't.

Or do interactive boot, I never do so I don't remember how to get it
started. There is probably a hint spalshed on the screen at the critical
time ' hit something to enter interactive boot'. ???

anacron is about the last thing to start up (this is from fc9, hoping fc10
similar):

ls -1 /etc/rc5.d
[snip]
S98cups
S99anacron
S99fedora-late-live
S99local

Does X get started, or act like it is trying to start?

Dave