Laptop locking up at Boot Process

suvayu ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Fri Dec 26 21:18:45 UTC 2008

2008/12/26 David Burns <tdbtdb at gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Dec 25, 2008 at 1:56 PM, Jim <mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>
>> FC10
>> My Dell Laptop is locking up in the boot process just after;
>>
>> Starting anacron:             [  OK ]
>>
>> how can i tell what is locking it up
>
> Can you get a console with ctl-alt-f1? Can you ssh in? Or is it just a dead
> thing?
>
> Try booting into text mode or single user - hit space bar after bios is done
> to get into the boot menu (grub?), hit tab to edit the boot params, put a 3
> at the end of the kernel line. (Or something like that - I am going from
> memory. s or S might boot to single user?) If you can get that far, you can
> try to start up various things and see what won't.
>
> Or do interactive boot, I never do so I don't remember how to get it
> started. There is probably a hint spalshed on the screen at the critical
> time ' hit something to enter interactive boot'. ???

I once got stuck because of sendmail. Some problem with DNS
resolution, and the entire boot process would stall until sendmail
returned a "failed to start". This was in F8. Interactive boot helped
me out then. Afaik Ctrl+i gets you into interactive boot. Once you are
in you can use /sbin/chkconfig to the guilty service of or on.

As an alternative you can try what David suggests, boot to runlevel 3.

Also have a look here, http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-services-f10.html

--
Suvayu