Catch-22 : wide monitor

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Fri Dec 26 21:45:38 UTC 2008

	Last time a monitor bit the dust on me, the local shops were
already carrying wide ones all but exclusively, blast them -- such
dimensions were mythical beasts when even the newest of my machines were
built.

	After much tedious labor and more bitter cursing, I got Fedora
*and* the monitor (HP w2207h) to agree to a compromise. Fedora treats it
as a 1680x1050 flat panel LCD, but with a choice to *use* it in 1280x1024
mode.

	And all the machines in the house but two are cheerfully running
F10 that way -- all but two, my wife's and my main one. Those are the
ones I always upgrade last -- hers because she's writing whole books on
it, and I do elaborate multiple backups before any big change; and mine
because it has a second hard drive with XP installed. (I have yet to
manage to get any of my GPSs to talk with any of my proprietary topo map
software under wine or CXO.)

	Today I decided to tackle my main machine. Anaconda launches --
but before it starts asking about language, keyboard, etc, I get the
dread "signal out of range; set to 1680x1050". But it has never ever yet
let me get to the normal means of resetting the display. All I can do is
hit the reset button, and start over.

	I know there is some slick trick for getting around this, which
always seems adequate when I recall or reconstruct it; but I don't recall
now.

	Clue, please, someone??