Catch-22 : wide monitor

Christopher K. Johnson ckjohnson at gwi.net
Fri Dec 26 23:22:40 UTC 2008

Kam Leo wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 1:45 PM, Beartooth <Beartooth at swva.net> wrote:
>
>>        Today I decided to tackle my main machine. Anaconda launches --
>> but before it starts asking about language, keyboard, etc, I get the
>> dread "signal out of range; set to 1680x1050". But it has never ever yet
>> let me get to the normal means of resetting the display. All I can do is
>> hit the reset button, and start over.
>>
>>        I know there is some slick trick for getting around this, which
>> always seems adequate when I recall or reconstruct it; but I don't recall
>> now
>
> I would do the following:
>
> At the installation screen type "linux text" to perform your installation.
>
> Don't forget to install "system-config-display". It is not installed by default.

Given what you describe I would first try "linux vga=792" or some other
vesa mode you like for your hardware.
If that works but encounters trouble once the installation GUI fires up
try adding the "vnc" option too and watch for it to tell you what its
address and screen are to access the installation from another machine
using vncviewer.

Chris

--
   "A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know
   they shall never sit in" - Greek Proverb