how to play an audio cd?

slamp slamp slackamp at gmail.com
Sat Dec 27 06:13:25 UTC 2008

On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 12:52 AM, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com> wrote:
> slamp slamp wrote:
>> is anyone successful in playing an audio cd? i insert an audio cd,
>> fedora 10 nicely asks what i want to do, i select open in rhythmbox
>> but it does nothing. i tried audacious but that does not play either.
>> sound juicer is able to play the audio cd but sound juicer is not an
>> audio player. ive replaced my xp desktop with fedora and loving it but
>> im surprised that something as simple as playing an audio cd is not
>> working for the 10th iteration of fedora. im a big fan of linux as a
>> whole and i can handle a bug like this but someone not as computer
>> literate as i am although im no expert would be turned away in an
>> instant.
>>

> By "does nothing" do you really mean "nothing"?  Or, does the cd spin
> the timer counts but not sound?
>
> I've not played audio cd's in a long time....but I do recall that some
> players expect the audio plug of the cdplayer be connected by wire to
> the sound card.  That is the way I have my system configured....and I
> also need to enable the cd in the mixer.  I use kmix.
>

> --
> Virtue would go far if vanity did not keep it company. -- La
> Rochefoucauld Mei-Mei.Greshko at greshko.com
>

> --

it spins for a few seconds then it stops. nothing else happens in
rhythmbox, no timer etc. i am using gnome, volume is good like i said
cd plays in sound juicer. is it possible the rhythmbox/gstreamer can't
play wav files? ive installed all plugins for gstreamer but i am not
sure if rhythmbox uses gstreamer. i dont have the analog cable from my
cd/dvd drive to my sound card.