Re: OT: Looking for tool to manage pdf documents

On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 1:17 PM, Andreas Waldenburger
<wildemar freakmail de> wrote:
>> I have many pdf documents, which I would like to organize to allow for
>> a better search for, e.g., by keywords, etc. Is there some open source
>> tool for that? I used Google Desktop, but it was quite heavy to my
>> computer. Any ideas?
>>
> Beagle and Tracker come to mind. Beagle seems to work a bit smoother
> for me, but it is based on Mono, if that's a concern for you.
>
> Tracker is written in C and is more lightweight, but very often appears
> to grind my CPU and HD for no good reason. I think I remember that this
> is a known bug.
>
> Then there is Strigi, if you're using KDE. I've never even looked at
> it, so I can't comment.

Thanks, Andreas. In fact, all tools that you suggest are friends of
Google Desktop. My idea was to look for some tool that did the
indexing job not automatically, but only when requested. Is there such
a tool?

Paul