Catch-22 : wide monitor -- Surprise!

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Sat Dec 27 17:36:11 UTC 2008

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 16:06:01 +0000, I Beartooth wrote:
	[....]
>> 	Today I decided to tackle my main machine. Anaconda launches --
>> but before it starts asking about language, keyboard, etc, I get the
>> dread "signal out of range; set to 1680x1050". [....]
> 	After several more failures, I tried for lack of a better idea,
> hitting tab on the "install or upgrade" line and simply typing " linux
> text" at the end of the line it gave me.
>
> 	Believe it or not (and I don't quite myself yet), that seems so
> far to have worked. [....]
>
> 	Stay tuned. [....]

	That went to completion, telling me to reboot -- without
mentioning removing the DVD, let alone ejecting it. I did, and snatched
the DVD as soon as it finished shutting down.

	The new grub stage 2 did still give me a choice to boot into poor
old XP, and it did work. It had also added F10 on top of the last couple
of F9 kernels -- with the highlight on the latest F9, oddly.

	I arrowed up to the new top line, and it booted F10. I've been
testing it : the gnome-terminal works, ssh works, and Pan works
(fortunately). Of my browsers, Opera launches, though with a false
recollection of which session was last; Firefox, Galeon, and Epiphany all
fail -- and so, fatal error if not fixed soon, does Alpine.

	Otoh, yum update is still running, and those things are among
the  updates.

	Nutshell : tentative pass -- but oh what a foul kludge to get it!