Re: is KDE dead - did Gnome win?

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 15:15:26 -0600
Arthur Pemberton wrote:

> Why does the GUI depend on gnome at all? As opposed to just Gtk?

Well for one thing, no gtk app can display readable fonts
unless the gnome-settings-daemon is running to tell them what
to do.

I hate both the gnome and kde desktops, and in my quest to rid
myself of them, I've definitely discovered there are pieces
you can't do without. Aside from gnome-settings-daemon for
gtk apps, most apps (kde or gtk) can't seem to survive without
a dbus daemon running.