Catch-22 : curiouser and curiouser -- but better

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Sun Dec 28 19:15:33 UTC 2008

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 18:42:54 +0000, Beartooth wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 09:34:30 -0800, Antonio Olivares wrote:
>
>> --- On Sun, 12/28/08, Beartooth <Beartooth at swva.net> wrote:
> 	[....]
>>> 	Seems to me I better try "upgrading" F10 to
>>> itself; and if that
>>> doesn't do it, maybe yum will work in rescue ...
	[...]
>> If you are afraid to do this, then use the trick/hack to let it upgrade
>> itself and it should fix the booting issue by reinstalling grub.  I
>> know that it is a pain, but as long as you get back your linux
>> partition back and it works, then go right ahead and do it.
>
> 	I did the latter (two or three times), on the principle of trying
> the easiest or most familiar thing first. Updating the boot settings did
> no good, but when I told it (tremulously emulating the amorous
> porcupines!), it did acknowledge the existence of another OS (for the
> first time since the troubles began), and let me rename it.
>
> 	I just edited /boot/grub/grub.conf, correcting the entry for XP
> to what it used to be, having carefully saved that *elsewhere* before
> all this.
>
> 	I also commented out "hiddenmenu" and raised the timeout from 5
> to 15 seconds; I'll try booting to XP shortly.
>
> 	Then I noticed something *very* odd: all the kernel names include
> "fc9"! And sure enough, so does uname -a. All this despite the fact it
> was my F*10* DVD, which has succeeded on at least five other machines!

	I was wrong again : there are F10 options in grub.conf after all;
I noticed them only on the stage 2 screen, but they're in the config
file, too, all right. They're *after* the F9 choices! Three of them : two
Fedora-PAE, and one Fedora-base. (What *are* these things?? At the moment
I'm in the base -- and uname -a confirms that it's F10.)

	And XP still boots.

	MAY IT REMAIN SO -- and many, many thanks for all the help!
Fedora 9 & 10; Alpine 2.00, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2, Epiphany 2, Opera 9, Firefox 3