To turn Plymouth off?

How can one disable Plymouth? I prefer to see the boot sequence. I recently had a "blue screen of death" for about 10 minutes while my disks were doing a mount limit forced fsck. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder:-)

Something also changed between F9 and F10 with upstart. In F9 I was able to comment out the lines in /etc/event.d/prefdm associated with:

exec /etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon

and the system would drop through to a text interface. Now it hangs. What is the best way to avoid using prefdm? I do not mind typing startx.

don