To turn Plymouth off?

don fisher hdf3 at comcast.net
Mon Dec 29 18:28:19 UTC 2008

How can one disable Plymouth? I prefer to see the boot sequence. I
recently had a "blue screen of death" for about 10 minutes while my
disks were doing a mount limit forced fsck. Beauty is in the eye of the
beholder:-)

Something also changed between F9 and F10 with upstart. In F9 I was able
to comment out the lines in /etc/event.d/prefdm associated with:

exec /etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon

and the system would drop through to a text interface. Now it hangs.
What is the best way to avoid using prefdm? I do not mind typing startx.

don