Catch-22 : wide monitor -- Surprise!

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Mon Dec 29 20:13:08 UTC 2008

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 11:19:45AM -0500, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Beartooth wrote:
>
> >	Btw, I don't really suppose this new change in anaconda is an act
> >of purposeful obscurantism -- but the result is not significantly
> >different. If the developers were deliberately trying to drive non-
> >technoid users away, they could hardly do it more effectively than by
> >this and several other changes (such as package kit and network manager).
> >
> I have to agree, FC10 is absolutely the worst install available. I have it
> on five machines now, and in every case I had to do video tricks to get a
> working display. I think the people who put in that animated boot display
> took control, and were more concerned with having people oh and ah over the
> animation that have a working default video mode like 800x600, and have the
> graphics *fit* instead of depending on screen scrolling, which also doesn't
> work on several machines I tried, even if you know it's there.
>
> I have still been giving out FC9 DVDs to people, FC10 is just geek material
> as far as I'm concerned. FC10 is great software, but a hideous install.

Bill, I'm not disputing your experience. I've only installed F10 on a single
machine, my eeepc 901, but on that machine it "just works".

As there is a LOT of variance from one machine to the next, I don't
doubt that there are those where it is less smooth than my experience.

                    The Lord detests the way of the wicked