best video card for fedora 10

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Tue Dec 30 02:25:22 UTC 2008

Don Raikes wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have been watching this list for a while.
> The ati radeon video card on my gateway desktop has failed, so I am starting to look for a new video card, and am wondering which is the best for fedora 10.
>
> I will do most of my workin console mode ( run level 3), and some work in the gnome desktop.
>
> I am not a gamer of any sort, and do not plan on watching many (if any dvd's) on it. I just need basic video capabilities, and don't want ot spend a ton of money.
>
> Any suggestions appreciated.

I use an NVidia GeForce 7300 GT card that lspci reports as:

nVidia Corporation G70 [GeForce 7300 GT] (rev a1)

I feel kinda dirty saying this, but I use the proprietary NVidia driver
for it and I have been very impressed with it.  I do dual head using the
DVI and the VGA ports and it works great with a pair of ViewSonic
1440x900 LCD flat screens.  Desktop effects and compiz-fusion do the
cool wobbly window goodness.  Very pretty.  Using the open source
driver, I've never been able to get dual head to work.  Also, the open
source driver doesn't seem to do accelerated 3D.  I'm running RHEL 5 on
this box right now but I go back and forth with Fedora depending on what
I'm working on, and the NVidia driver works great with both.

 From what I typically see on the lists, NVidia cards with the
proprietary driver typically work well.  That is, if you don't have an
overwhelming objection to using closed source drivers.

--
Thomas