ATI driver installation

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Dec 30 16:14:40 UTC 2008

Vincent Onelli wrote:
> I suspect that I may need an update driver, I checked ATI web side and
> found a file "ati-driver-installer-8-12-x86.x86_64.run" and the
> instruction file "linux_cat812-inst.pdf". I got stuck at the first
> instruction "sh ./fglrx-uninstall.sh" not found
> Any body there can help? I will appreciate very much.

Oh, and I forgot: The driver you can get from ATI is a completely different
driver than the one in Fedora, not an update. It is binary-only and
proprietary, whereas the one in Fedora is Free Software / Open Source, i.e.
comes with source code and is freely modifiable. And the proprietary driver
is reported not to work on Fedora 10. In addition, if you really want to
use that driver, you should use the packages from RPM Fusion's nonfree
section, never the manufacturer's scripts which always make a mess of your
system. GNU/Linux does not work like Window$, you should always get your
software, and especially drivers, from a package repository for your
distribution where possible (preferably the official one, then well-known
addon repositories like RPM Fusion and only as a last resort a repository
provided by the developers themselves), avoid manufacturer-provided
installers like the plague!

        Kevin Kofler