how to force my laptop external video refresh rate to 50 Hz?

  for the sake of testing an external video device, i'd like to force
the video refresh rate on my aging WUXGA dell inspiron 9200 to 50 Hz.
i can see from the xorg.conf man page that the Monitor section has a
VertRefresh option, but my current xorg.conf has no Monitor section
whatever -- i'm assuming X is then just faking up a default one.

  is there a quick way to force a lower refresh rate?  specifically,
on the DVI port.  thanks.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
    Have classroom, will lecture.