X with no KDE

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Tue Dec 30 22:59:41 UTC 2008

Dave Feustel wrote:

> I'm doing an experiment to see if removing KDE files reduces the number
> of incidences of apparent security exploits ocurring on my system.

FWIW, if you are having successful attacks against your system it may be
your configuration rather than a specific specific set of packages.
Besides, you should identify the actual exploit that occurred and
determine the point of entry.

Have you identified the actual exploit?   How will you know if you have
actually found the issue and corrected it?  What if you delete
files/applications and the attacker stops attacking?  Have you actually
fixed anything?  If the attack is coming over the network, have you
captured indications with a packet capture?

With little information that you've supplied some may think you are
jumping the gun.

--
"Truth never comes into the world but like a bastard, to the ignominy of
him that brought her birth." -- Milton Mei-Mei.Greshko at greshko.com