F10 freezes when running glxgears

Klaasjan Brand klaasjan at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 18:43:17 UTC 2008

On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 11:11 AM, Konstantin Svist <fry.kun at gmail.com> wrote:

> I just built a new system and installed F10-KDE from the Live CD.
> The CD refused to boot into full graphical/install mode so I used text
> install.
>
> It looks like the system now freezes when there are certain graphical
> applications being run.
> glxgears always makes the system freeze. I'm sure there are others, but
> this one is easiest to test.
>
> Interesting tidbits:
> * glxgears runs smoothly for a second or two before the freeze.
> * there's a bit of very faint high-pitched whining (apparently from my
> video card) while glxgears is running. Not sure if that's normal. Never
> had problems with this card before, though.
> * SysRq/REISUB doesn't work. I've tested it without the freeze and it
> works like a charm, then.

Except for the whining I'm also experiencing hard lockups with Fedora 10
i386 when running something as simple as glxgears for a few seconds. (system
is an Athlon64, nForce4 chipset, Asus X800XT videocard). My guess is the
videodriver; there are some bugs filed against the R300/R400 cards in
bugzilla, but noone seems to be working on it...

Klaasjan