Re: Linux apps to convert music files to MP3

Richard Shaw wrote:
On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 3:39 PM, Jim <mickeyboa sbcglobal net> wrote:
Does Linux have any Appa for converting music files to MP3 to play on Ipods.

You'll need to install a 3rd party repo like rpmfusion[1] and install
lame. Personally I installed RockBox[2] on my Ipod 4G and use ogg
audio files instead.

Richard

[1] http://rpmfusion.org/
[2] http://www.rockbox.org/

I picked this up off the internet about Lame;

/Lame/

In the great history of GNU naming, LAME stands for LAME Ain't an Mp3 Encoder. LAME is not an mp3 encoder. It is a GPL'd patch against the dist10 ISO demonstration source. LAME is totally incapable of producing an mp3 stream. It is incapable of even being compiled by itself. You need the ISO source for this software to work. The ISO demonstration source is also freely available, but any commercial use (including distributing free encoders) may require a license agreement from FhG (Fraunhofer Gesellschaft, Germany).