Re: RHEL4 to Fedora 9

On 12/30/2008 11:42 AM, Irfan Malik wrote:

Hello,

Is there any simple way to upgrade to Fedora 9 from RHEL4? I don’t have machine access and have to upgrade remotely.

I would avoid this. I would possibly suggest you do a network install. You can install the isolinux tools in your /boot directory:
You can get these file from the isolinux directory on any F10 mirror.
http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/publiclist/Fedora/10/
As an example:
http://mirror.web-ster.com/fedora/releases/10/Fedora/x86_64/os/isolinux/
The copy vmlinuz and initrd.img to /boot.

initrd.img-install
vmlinuz-install

The update your grup.conf:
title Installation
       root (hd0,0)
       kernel /vmlinuz-install
       initrd /initrd.img-install

You will need to enter the path to the mirror. Works great, and you don't need to create a CD or DVD.

Again, you are probably much better off doing a full install, not an upgrade since as you already know RHEL 4 is many releases removed.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf blu org>
Boston Linux and Unix