Help with a little dd damage!

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Thu Feb 28 02:10:57 UTC 2008

John Summerfield wrote:
> It looks like he has a good backup of the MBR and so can recover the
> root partition table. From there he doesn't need anything until the
> first filesystem, and if that's /boot alone, then that can be fixed by
> reinstalling grub and kernel(s).
>
> Only partitions containing data that got clobbered are irretrievable
> without further backup. the OP can see that by looking at the partition
> table in the file, as someone else described.

If the first partition is /boot, and is at least 1.3M, (It had
better be larger then that.) then doing a restore from
2ndstage.rescue should put everything back without having to
re-install the kernels or Grub. Unlike coping files, using dd will
put everything back where it was, so you should not need to run
grub-install. If the first partition is something else, then it get
harder. Note: By the first partition, I mean the first partition
after the MBR, and not necessarily partition 1. It normally be
partition 1, but it is possible to partition the disk so it is not.

Mikkel