No sound after last kernel update.

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Fri Feb 1 20:33:05 UTC 2008

Stefan Kuhlemann wrote:
> Lonni J Friedman schrieb:

>>> Same problem here.
>>>
>>> After the last kernelupdate - no sound. After some testing i figured
>>>

> [...]
>>> So...
>>>
>>> - How could I set /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer to '666-permission'
>>> permanent?
>>>

>> udev should be doing this.  I guess you could just hack the chmod into
>> /etc/rc.local as a temporary workaround.
>>

> Yes, that should do it :-)
> But it would be nice to set those permissions permanently. Anybody
> with a hint out there?
> How do I set permissions for /dev/[whatever] which aren't lost after a
> reboot?

This is what console.perms is for.

It may be that additional items may need to be added to console.perms
upstream, but for now you can easily add your own.

You can edit /etc/security/console.perms.d/50-default.perms or add a new
definition file into that directory.

The difference between console.perms and udev is largely a matter of
responsibility.
When do things need to happen?  If it needs to happen at boot time,
think udev.  If it needs to happen when a user logs in, then think
console.perms.

Good luck!