totem, rhythmbox won't work without GNOME?

Danny Yee danny at anatomy.usyd.edu.au
Sun Feb 3 05:04:51 UTC 2008

Whenever I try to run totem or rhythmbox, it
	* changes my root window background (to a dark blue background I
		assume is the Fedora/GNOME default)
	* starts gnome-screensaver, gnome-vfs-daemon, gnome-settings-daemon
		(which will cause my X session to hang hard if I don't
		kill gnome-screensaver, as it interacts badly with
		xscreensaver which I'm running.)
	* crashes firefox

I'm not running GNOME, but a lightweight standalone window manager
(9wm).  Has anyone else seen anything like this?  Is there any way
to run totem, etc. without running GNOME?

Danny.