Difference between IDE and SCSI ??

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Sun Feb 3 21:18:13 UTC 2008

> > The iBM PC waas released in 1982 with dissk pased PC's shortly after
> > using IDE interface. SCSI was considerably later.

SCSI has a whole history prior to the PC world adopting it (and originally
was known as SASI)

> the AT Attachment interface didn't arrive until the PC/AT.

Somewhat later than that. PC/AT was ST-412. The first 'AT attachment'
type interfaces were some of the 'hardcard' devices and then a few PC
systems had various pre-ATA standard interfaces based on routing ISA
timing (aka PIO 0) I/O cycles direct to a controller on the disc and
replacing the PC side controller with a simple address decoder and glue
logic to route the right I/O cycles.

> The PC didn't (originally) have disk at all, the PC/XT was the first
> with disk, and it used the ST-506 interface.

Alan